Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

DIY vinyl family tree! (nat)

In our last place I tried to come up with a fun way to display all the recent family pictures we'd done with each of our families--so after walking through Ikea and getting "inspired" I decided to do a vinyl-like family tree. I had it in our old place here and then later here. Well when we got to our new place-- I decided this was the one thing I wanted to incorporate here too. BUT I thought the tree itself needed a major re-vamp. Good good bye Ikea decals, hello vinyl by-the-foot thanks to Roberts! Roberts now carries vinyl in about 10 colors and it costs 1.99 a foot! Yahoo!

Very first I just jumped online and googled vinyl tree images. TONS pop up. But if you buy one online it can cost 75-hundred+ dollars- who wants to pay that much!? NOT ME. Soooo I found a pic I liked...
....then I sketched out the image of the "inspiration tree" the best I could on a huge piece of butcher paper- made to the scale of where I ultimately wanted it to be hung. Really no science behind it, just eye-balled and sketched, there was a lot of erasing and tweaking but it got the job done. Then I bought a huge piece of brown vinyl- I believe I got 6 feet (12 bucks) I took the butcher paper drawing that I had cut out and traced it onto the vinyl, and had to piece a few branch pieces together but managed to get them all on there.

Then I got about one foot of red and green and used some scrapbooking paper I already had for a bit of yellow and black. It only took about 30 min to get it all actually up on the wall and voila!

A re-vamped and totally cute way to display our family! I love that every time I walk down the stairs with our 18 mo. old he points and says- mommy, daddy! (Even though I desperately need to switch out almost all the pics, totally out-dated!)

Total cost- without the frames, about $16.00!!! Ahhhh

Linkin up to thrifty decor chick!

4 comments:

Clay and Katy said...

I love it! It is so cute...how fun!

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

Wow, I love this! Such a neat idea. I will be featuring your project on my blog tomorrow! :-)

. said...

What a fabulous idea!! And the fact you actually cut that tree out yourself is pretty impressive! :)

Tami said...

This is awesome! When you cut out your tree, did you just use scissors or a craft knife or what?